Hickory Valley Baptist Church was begun as a mission of First Baptist Church of Sparta, TN, in the summer of 1944. Completion of the original church building was accomplished through donations of land, materials, and labor. Many different pastors served before 1960. Brother Leighton Jernigan served as pastor for 22 years, from 1960–1981. Brother Doug Benningfield began preaching at Hickory Valley Baptist on January 31, 1982, and continues to serve as pastor.
Hickory Valley Baptist has changed considerably since the first building was built. Attendance has increased, additional property has been acquired, and facilities have been expanded several times. In January 2003, the church established a cemetery on its grounds. In September 2005 the church officially started a new building fund for future facility expansion that continues to grow through the generous contributions of the Hickory Valley Baptist family.
At present, plans are being finalized to erect a multi-purpose building for education, fellowship, and recreation uses. The multi-purpose building could also be converted into a large sanctuary in the future. Hickory Valley Baptist wants to continue to grow, meeting the needs of people who attend church services here.